The New Company Drill Simplified 1915
SQUAD DRILL IN SINGLE RANK
27 FORMATION OF SQUADS IN SINGLE RANKRecruits will at this stage be formed in single rank without intervals, each man occupying a lateral space of 27 inches. Thus ten men occupy nine paces. The accuracy of the spaces should be frequently tested. Squads will fall in and dress by the right unless otherwise ordered.
28. DRESSING IN SINGLE RANK
29. NUMBERING A SQUAD
The squad will number off from the right, the right-hand man calling out "One," the next on his left "Two," and so on.
30. OPENING AND CLOSING A SQUADOpen Ranks--March.
The odd numbers will take two paces forward; when the paces are completed the men who have moved (except the right-hand man of each rank) will look to the right and correct the dressing quickly, looking to the front as soon as the dressing is correct.
The odd numbers will step back two paces; when the paces are completed the squad will dress without orders, as in Section 28.
31. MARCHING IN SINGLE RANK
1. By the Right (or Left or by No.--), Quick--MarchAs in Section 22. Each man will preserve his position in the general line by an occasional glance towards the directing man, who will act as in Section 21,4
2. By the Right (or Left or by No.--), Double--MarchAs in paragraph 4.6 above, but in double time.
32. Changing the Pace From Quick to Double Time, and vice versaDouble--March. Complete the next pace in quick time and then continue in double time as in Section 24.
Quick--March. Complete the next pace in double time and then break into quick time, dropping the arms to their usual position.
33. THE DIAGONAL MARCHRight--Incline. Each man will make a half turn in the required direction and, if on the march, will move diagonally in that direction.
34. CHANGING DIRECTIONRight--Form. The right-hand man will make a full turn in the required direction, and the remainder a half turn.
Quick--March. The right hand man will mark time, and the remainder will mark time as they come up into the new alignment.
Note. --Should the squad be required to halt on reaching the new alignment the command will be preceded by the caution At the Halt; each man will then halt and take up his dressing on reaching the new alignment. If the squad is on the move the command Quick March is omitted.
Forward. The squad will move forward in the new direction.
Note. --Forming at any angle will be practised. If necessary, the first three men may be dressed at the required angle and the remainder be ordered to form upon them.
(In Single Rank). Command: At the Halt--Right Form, Quick--March.
This movement can be carried out only when the squad is in line, and not when in file. If required to move forward on completion, the caution At the Halt is omitted. The right hand man makes a full turn in the required direction, and the remainder a half turn. On the command Quick --March, the right hand man stands fast, the remainder step off, halting and dressing as they come into the new alignment.
35. MARCHING AS IN FILE
1. From the Halt
As in Section 17. The men will now cover each other exactly. The head of the man immediately in front of each soldier, when he is correctly covered, will conceal the heads of all the others in front of him.
Note. --This will also be practised on the move, the words Quick March being omitted.
2. Changing DirectionRight--Wheel.
The leading man will move round a quarter of the circumference of a circle having a radius of 4 feet. The other men, in succession, will follow in his footsteps without increasing or diminishing their distances from each other or altering the time, but shortening the pace a little with the inner foot.
3. Rear Files--CoverIf the squad is halted or ordered to Mark Time when only a part of the men have wheeled into the new direction, the men who have not yet wheeled will cover off on those who have, moving to their places by the shortest route.
4. Forming Squad on the MoveOn the Left, Form--Squad.
The leading man will mark time, the remainder will make a partial turn in the named direction and form upon him, marking time as they come into the line.
The squad will move on in line in the direction in which it was originally marching in file.
Note. --After forming squad on the right, the left will normally be ordered to direct.
5. Forming Squad at the HaltAt the Halt, on the Left, Form--Squad.
The leading man will halt, the remainder will make a partial turn in the named direction and form upon him, halting and dressing as they come into the line.
(In Single File).
4.28 Command: At the Halt, on the Right, Form-Squad.
This can only be done when the squad is in single file, and it is required to form into line. This does not change the direction in which the squad is moving, but increases its frontage, as instead of moving in single file it now moves in line in the same direction.
The leading man will halt, the remainder will make a partial turn in the named direction, and form upon him, halting and dressing as come into line.
This page was last updated 12th Feb 2005
It is dedicated to the generation who fought, died and survived the "War to end all Wars"
Lest We Forget